Why, hello there! Long time no blog. Things have been a bit busier around here as of late and I haven’t done as many projects around the house. For one, I started a Master’s program, which has taken up quite a bit of my after work computer time. I can only stand looking at a computer screen for so many hours a day! I’ve also been enjoying the nicer Michigan weather lately by running and reading outside more and doing landscaping around the house. We’ve made some great progress on that front and I’m excited to share more about that soon. Although I’ve neglected it for a while, I still love this blog and want to make it a point to update it whenever I have something worthwhile to share.
Today, I want to share my latest project, a DIY console table for our entry made of a few items from the hardware store! I had been planning to build something like this for a while and the version I loved the most was the one I found on Besotted Blog.
You may need to customize the dimensions to suit your space, but here is my shopping list and general instructions…
From Home Depot I picked up:
- (16) 3/4″ pipe flanges
- (1) 2″x12″x10′ wood board (cut into thirds at HD)
- (8) 16″ lengths of 3/4″ black plumbing pipe (cut to length and threaded at HD)
- (1) box of black drywall screws (length needs to be less than the thickness of your boards and head needs to fit into the holes of the pipe flanges)
Items I already had on hand:
- Minwax Dark Walnut Stain
- Minwax Polyurethane
- Black spray paint
- Some rags for the stain
- Paintbrush for the poly
- Electric drill
The process was easy. I wiped down all the pipes since they had oil on them from being cut and threaded at the store. I gave the flanges and the pipes a few coats of black spray paint. I sanded the boards and did a coat of stain and poly on each of them. After letting them all dry thoroughly, I screwed them all together. Make sure you screw the flange onto the pipe and then attach it to the board; you will not be able to screw a threaded pipe into two already mounted and stationary flanges at the same time!
Here is the finished product with some very rough styling:
This stuff was all stolen from around the house, so they’ll need to go back in their places. I’d love to get a larger piece of art, a lamp, and some more accessories. I think I may put my sister’s work of art, which currently hangs over our mantle, above my new shelves.
This project was so easy. I love the vintage industrial feel of it, and the price was only around $85… cheaper than IKEA, really. I’d love to see your version if you try it!